Friday, October 25, 2013

Be Countercultural: Have Babies!


by Kristen Hatten

A fabulous piece of writing from The Federalist recently hit home with me. “Fecundophobia: The Growing Fear of Children and Fertile Women” is more than the title of the article; it’s also the theme of the first 20-something years of my life.

I am here to tell you that fecundophobia is pervasive. I have witnessed and participated in it for most of my life.

Here’s the thing: I wanted kids from the time I was pretty young. But I wouldn’t admit it – certainly not to others, and almost not even to myself.

Having kids was synonymous with giving up, conforming, being dumb, not having any initiative, fleeing from an interesting life, becoming part of the problem, and not having anything better to do. None of my close female friends admitted to wanting kids. It was tacitly understood that if we ever got pregnant, it would be by accident, and we’d have to decide whether to have an abortion or not.


A couple years ago I wrote a piece for Live Action about the anti-humanist bent of abortion advocates. It is my contention that people support abortion not so much because they don’t believe the fetus is a human being, but because they do believe the fetus is a human being, and they don’t particularly like human beings.

Do they really, though? you’re asking. Do they really dislike human beings?

Yeah. Yeah, they do.

continue reading at http://liveactionnews.org


No comments:

Post a Comment