Sunday, November 16, 2014

Living The Pro-Life Blessing



by Melanie Jean Juneau
Catholic Stand 

A few years ago when a journalist interviewed me for an article on Mother’s Day for our city’s major paper, she asked me if I ever regretted not using my degree to pursue a career. I simply stared at her in shock for a few moments, my mind blank. “No”, I finally stuttered, “the thought never entered my mind”. It was then the journalist’s turn to stare at me in shock for a few minutes. Even though this article merely shared a humorous peek into my hectic life written by a bemused acquaintance, half of the ninety comments had to be deleted after publication because they were angry, profane attacks against my lifestyle. Obviously a pro-life feminist stance strikes a raw nerve in society, a symptom of a decades old battle between the pro-choice and pro-life camps. Ironically both sides fight for the equality and dignity of women. It is my hope that by once again articulating my positions with respect, simply sharing my journey, even bitter adversaries will begin to understand my pro-life, feminist stance even if they do not fully agree.


Melanie Jean Juneau is a petite wife, writer and mother of nine children who blogs at joy of nine 9. When the words "The Joy of Mothering on a Hobby Farm" popped into her head as a subtitle for her short stories, it was like an epiphany for her because those few words verbalized her experience living with little people.The very existence of a joyful mother of nine children seems to confound people. Her writing is humorous and heart warming; thoughtful and thought provoking with a strong current of spirituality running through it. Part of her call and her witness is to write the truth about children, family, marriage and the sacredness of life, especially a life lived in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment