Thursday, May 11, 2017

Emotional Video of Adopted DJ Thanking His Birth Mother Goes Viral

"You've given someone the gift of life..." 

Ryan Jon with his adopted mother Mandy

Society for the Protection of Unborn Children

A video that an Australian DJ made for Mother's Day thanking the birth mother he has never met has gone viral. At the time of writing, the video Ryan Jon posted on his Facebook page has been viewed over 4.2 million times. 


He posted the clip with the caption: 
"I’ve never met my biological mum and every year mother's day gets me thinking. My birth mum sacrificed so much for me and I'd love her to know just how thankful I am and I hope I'm doing her proud."
Scroll down to watch the video!

Ryan was born in 1987, and was adopted when he was just six weeks old. His parents, Mandy and Rod, had been unable to conceive, and he explained that one day they simply got a phone call that said: "There's a baby here, come and pick him up tomorrow". Ryan doesn’t know much about his birth mother, Julie, except what she explained in a letter she left with him. She was living in a share house and when she fell pregnant unexpectedly she simply felt she didn’t have the maturity to be a great mum.

Thankful to be alive

Although Ryan says he doesn't want to get into the abortion debate, he talks about how thankful he is to be alive. "I don't really know what it was like in 1987, but now if someone gets pregnant and doesn't want to have a baby, they just don't have a baby. The odds of me being born and having great parents was pretty slim, so I'm just lucky I guess."

In time for Mother’s Day weekend (don't worry, Australia has theirs in May, not March like the UK!), the Hit 104.7 fm radio presenter posted a whole series of videos in which he shares his adoption story, including an interview with his adoptive mother, Mandy.


Adoption "the gift of life"

He emphasizes what a positive choice adoption is. "I've heard a lot of stories where women who have given up kids for adoption feel really guilty and sometimes it seems like a cowardly thing...but as someone who was adopted, from my point of view it's the total opposite. You've given someone the gift of life, you've sacrificed your body for someone who in 12 months you won't even know. I'd love to be able to look my birth mother in they eye and just say how thankful I am."


Voices for Life is an e-publication dedicated to informing and educating the public on pro-life and pro-family issues. To read our Mission Statement, use this link.  Follow us on FacebookGoogle, and Pinterest.  Help us spread the pro-life message by sharing our articles on your favorite social networks.

Pregnant, need help or know someone who does?  


National Hotline: Call 1-800-712-HELP or Text 'HELPLINE' to 313131.
In Southeast Penna:  Call or text 610-626-4006  

If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available.  Call Project Rachel's national toll-free number 888-456-HOPE (4673) or visit hopeafterabortion.org.  


No comments:

Post a Comment