By Micaiah Bilger
Supporters who run two prominent social media pages for British infant Charlie Gard say they are being censored.
The people who organize the pages “Charlie’s army” on Facebook and @fight4charlie on Twitter said some of their posts have been blocked, and others who used the hashtag #SaveCharlieGard said their accounts were suspended, the Daily Mail reports. Still others said their messages of support were marked as “spam.”
Members of Charlie’s family appear to be the ones running the Twitter page, according to the Mirror.
“Twitter is censoring this page. Please head over to @charliesfight new page! And get tweeting like crazy! We need your help! #charliegard,” a post on @fight4charlie said Thursday morning.
Charlie is suffering from a rare disease, and his parents want to take him to the United States for an experimental treatment. His case gained international attention as his parents fought a series of court battles for their son, but ultimately lost.
Last week, the European Court of Human Rights ruled against his parents’ appeal to take him to the U.S. A British court also ruled that his life support can be removed against his parents’ wishes.
Prayers and support for Charlie have been flooding in from across the world, including from Pope Francis and U.S. President Donald Trump. Hundreds of people protested the court ruling in London over the weekend. Another protest is planned for this week.
Some supporters who had their accounts suspended said the social media sites did unlock their accounts after they complained.