Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Unintended Pregnancy: Finding Real Choice After 50 Years of a Broken Abortion Law


By Dr. Mark Houghton
Christian Today


'I was raped. I'm 12 weeks pregnant.' I sat speechless in my clinic while waves of shame ran over me for being a male of our species. My patient had a baby on her arm, a toddler in the other and her address on the notes was 'Homeless'.

After a brief conversation I did what most GPs would do and reached for the pad of official Abortion Law forms to tick the clause saying '... The pregnancy has not exceeded its 24th week and that the continuance would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman.' Safe, simple and sorted.

After 20 years of research, I am now convinced that mantra is untrue.

Suddenly, seeing what I was doing, she stood up with a red face: 


'I am not going to do an abortion on this baby! What has he done wrong?' Jaw dropping, I was covered in fresh shame for my paternalism, rush and bad care. She didn't want that. She wanted me to help.

Women tell me they are so lonely in their plight. Christian women can be in the worst place, where they find unconditional acceptance from the abortion clinic staff but not in their church. 'Oh, I could never tell my church; I just quietly went to the clinic.'

Indirect evidence suggests that the stated national average, 'One in three British women will have an abortion by age 50,' applies among Christians and Muslims as well. But didn't Christ accept without judgement the condemned sinner who appealed to him on the cross? (Luke 23: 39-43).

How can you help your pregnant friend?

One thing I find so frustrating is how this issue is polarised with pro- and anti-abortionists shouting at each other across a deep divide. In the middle is the ordinary pregnant woman who needs someone to talk to – maybe you.

The 50-year-old law is a broken safety net that has failed millions of our women, their partners and their unborn. With over 8 million British babies aborted so far, our communities have lost a lot.

So firstly, never forget the power of unconditional love and a listening ear – maybe your ear. We can all offer this. Without you there's a high chance your friend will be railroaded into a choice she is not sure she wants, ignorant of the after-effects and unable to unravel her head from her heart. So, how is real choice found?


Christian Today article continues

Voices for Life is an e-publication dedicated to informing and educating the public on pro-life and pro-family issues. To read our Mission Statement, use this link.  Follow us on FacebookGoogle, and Pinterest.  Help us spread the pro-life message by sharing our articles on your favorite social networks.

Pregnant, need help or know someone who does?  


National Hotline: Call 1-800-712-HELP or Text 'HELPLINE' to 313131.
In Southeast Penna:  Call  215-826-8090

If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available.  Call Project Rachel's national toll-free number 888-456-HOPE (4673) or visit hopeafterabortion.org.  

No comments:

Post a Comment