Wednesday, July 12, 2017

My Unplanned Pregnancy Saved Me and Made Me Who I am Today


By Carolyn F. Olivares
Live Action News


As a 19-year-old college student, I was a very trusting young woman who thought the best of everyone. I was never the type to party in high school or get into things I was taught were wrong. I was focused on my studies, and I earned myself a collegiate basketball scholarship. I would have been described as a ‘straight shooter’ at that point in my life.

I was a junior in college at the time, in the prime of my collegiate basketball career, and majoring in speech communication with a focus on public relations. I had completed my sport pedagogy minor and was beginning an additional minor in coaching. I seemed to have the world at my fingertips; I was driven, focused, and ready to get my degree. Our college team had just won our league championship and went on to win the state championship and travel to South Carolina to compete nationally.




I was raised in a middle-class family and was taught to work hard for what I earned and always to treat others with respect. My parents had instilled in me good morals and values. While this sounds like a woman who had it all together, I stood by these morals and values until a predator saw my innocence and decided to take advantage by using and abusing me…and I became pregnant at the age of 21.

I was 19 when he approached me at a park where I would always go to practice basketball. He asked if he could shoot baskets with me; I was all about sharing the court, so I obliged. I thought nothing of it once I left the park. I was ready to move on with my night, and I never had another thought about the random guy approaching me to play basketball…until I got a phone call.

This persistent predator got my number from the man who coached him in baseball (I had previously provided my number to this coach, who had asked me to help his daughter with basketball skills). Unfortunately, my phone number had fallen into the wrong hands; this is where the predator’s conditioning began.

He was the typical casanova; he wined and dined me, and he told me he loved me so that he would gain my trust. Once I thought I knew who he was, his true colors began to come through. I was emotionally and mentally abused and had completely lost my sense of self. 

Voices for Life is an e-publication dedicated to informing and educating the public on pro-life and pro-family issues. To read our Mission Statement, use this link.  Follow us on FacebookGoogle, and Pinterest.  Help us spread the pro-life message by sharing our articles on your favorite social networks.

Pregnant, need help or know someone who does?  


National Hotline: Call 1-800-712-HELP or Text 'HELPLINE' to 313131.
In Southeast Penna:  Call or text 610-626-4006  

If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available.  Call Project Rachel's national toll-free number 888-456-HOPE (4673) or visit hopeafterabortion.org



No comments:

Post a Comment