Thursday, November 16, 2017

How One Woman Helps Others Heal from the Unexpected Pain of Abortion

Wendy Giancola helps women in Washington, DC
 
at the Capitol Hill Crisis Pregnancy Center

By Wendy Giancola, Past Abortion Ministry Director
Bound for Life


She takes a deep breath, eyes riveted on the floor. Slowly, she begins to share some of her story of pain with me through tears while twisting a tissue. I am aware that what was once a counseling room has now become holy ground—a space where she can share the secret that has become deafening inside of her. My mind quiets as I listen to her deeply, that I may honor her in this courageous moment. My heart aches for her as the story unfolds and I become a witness to her inner turmoil.

She did not expect to be here or to carry excess emotional baggage. She expected life to return to normal after the abortion experience. She had tried to shove it down and stay busy, all in an effort to get over it and move on. Unfortunately, it still there. Now she wonders if the gloom will ever lift; if relationships will ever improve; if bursts of fury will subside; or if the future will even be worth entering.


The story of this woman who sat in front of me confirms research that suggests that many women and men struggle with emotional and spiritual wounds after an abortion. My own personal experience also corroborates this, which is why I journey alongside individuals on this path to recovery and healing.

Each of these people and their stories are unique, yet they hold the common thread of at least one abortion and sometimes subsequent confusion and pain. Many of those hurting will remain silent about their mental, emotional and spiritual upheaval.

In order to heal from this potentially soul-crushing silence and pain, their personal story needs to be examined. According to author Dan Allender in his workbook To Be Told, the reason for doing this, “is the hope that somehow it can be transformed.” The sacred hope that the path back through the story, “will lead to something beautiful and good: God has a history of redeeming.”

Yes, a story of abortion can be redeemed.

This journey to redemption begins with courageously sharing the story with someone. Those who serve in our abortion recovery ministry participate in a hallowed work as we listen, hold secret stories of pain, and help guide individuals through their steps of healing. We often do this in the context of a supportive and confidential small recovery group. I myself have experienced this and have seen the powerful benefits of sharing the healing journey within a safe community.

I remain in awe of the God who transformed my wounded story into a testimony of His grace and restoration. I am humbled that He invites me to participate in His ongoing rescue mission.


No comments:

Post a Comment