Thursday, July 5, 2018

After Her Abortion, A “Terrible Sense of Emptiness”


By Sarah Terzo
National Right to Life

“I was performing as a singer in ‘Evita’ in London in 1984 when I discovered that I was pregnant… By coincidence, a colleague with whom I shared a dressing room discovered that she was pregnant at around the same time.

She and her husband were thrilled with their news, but she became distressed at the thought that I was going to have an abortion. In total sincerity, she asked me if I would consider having the baby and letting her adopt it. I was utterly distressed at the thought of possibly giving up a child of mine for adoption. 

I thanked my colleague for her offer and tried to explain to her that just as her maternal instinct prompted her to make such an offer, my maternal instinct could never let me accept it. While I do believe that adopting out a child can be an expression of maternal protectiveness and caring, it was not my choice…

My experience was a struggle because I had not anticipated the terrible sense of emptiness that followed the abortion. 

It is probably difficult for those who are against abortion or who have not had one to understand that one can have an abortion without regret and yet still feel a deep sense of loss.… 

Abortion produces many conflicting emotions that are not necessarily reconcilable or logical… 

It is virtually impossible to know how you are going to react physically and emotionally after the abortion.”

Miriam Claire, The Abortion Dilemma: Personal Views on a Public Issue (New York: Insight Books, 1995) pp. 11-12.

Editor’s note. This appeared at Clinic Quotes and is reposted with permission.


Voices for Life is an e-publication dedicated to informing and educating the public on pro-life and pro-family issues. To read our Mission Statement, use this link.  Follow us on FacebookGoogle, and Pinterest.  Help us spread the pro-life message by sharing our articles on your favorite social networks.

Pregnant, need help or know someone who does?  


National Hotline: Call 1-800-712-HELP or Text 'HELPLINE' to 313131.
In Southeast Penna:  Call the Community Women's Center at  215-826-8090

If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available.  Call Project Rachel's national toll-free number 888-456-HOPE (4673) or visit hopeafterabortion.org.  

No comments:

Post a Comment