Monday, November 4, 2013

Open Your Hearts to Life: Consider Blessing a Child Through Adoption


by Mary McClusky

“Do you have kids?” my co-worker asked as he looked at an old family photo of me surrounded by nieces and nephews. He was helping me move into a new office, and my mind was focused on the many other duties that were piling up. He went on to mention that he and his wife had adopted twin sons from Guatemala. However, I was distracted and simply said, “that’s great” before moving the conversation along.

As I turned my mind towards promoting the theme of this year’s Respect Life Program, “Open your hearts to life!” I realized what I had done. The phrase, borrowed from Pope Francis, reminds us that the culture of death begins with a culture of rejection. In seemingly trivial ways, we often place our desires over the needs of others. I had placed my to-do list ahead of my co-worker’s desire to share the details of his children’s adoption.

As Pope Francis said recently, “We must all care for life, cherish life, with tenderness, warmth… to give life is to open our hearts, and to care for life is to give oneself in tenderness and warmth for others, to have concern in our hearts for others.” Christ calls us to open our hearts, sacrifice our own wants, and love others with generosity and mercy.

continue reading at http://www.lifenews.com




No comments:

Post a Comment