Monday, January 22, 2018

Former Pro-Choice Atheist Tells Evangelicals for Life How God Transformed Her

"God takes dead people and gives them resurrection life."

Trillia Newbell speaks at the 2018 Evangelicals for Life conference 
hosted at the J.W. Marriott in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 19, 2018


By Samuel Smith
Christian Post

Trillia Newbell is a former atheist who considered children a "nuisance."

"What is funny is that I am here at a pro-life event talking about the love of children. It's crazy. Why? There was a time when I would have thought that children were a nuisance, a bother, expendable," she shared at the third annual Evangelicals for Life conference on Friday.

"There was a time when I thought that children didn't matter and all that mattered where those of us that were adults and teens walking around. I was pro-choice. But, I wasn't just pro-choice. I was pro-choice to an extreme. Go to the extreme and there I was. I also wasn't a Christian."

Newbell explained that although she grew up in a loving home and was taught by her father the importance of loving people of all races and backgrounds, she never fully grasped the concept of personhood in the womb because she didn't believe that babies in the womb were people.
"My views became more and more radical throughout my teen years and into my early 20s," she said.
While working at a summer camp when she was just 19 years old, Newbell explained that God was "gracious" enough to put her in a room with a girl that she recalls being "on fire for Jesus."

"I was 19 and I was teaching a private camp. She was my assistant and we happened to be in this room by ourselves together. I will never forget when she sat on the bed to open her Bible during quiet time. I immediately got incredibly defensive and asked her, 'What are you doing?' She said, 'Having quiet time,'" Newbell said, as she tried to mimic her assistant's cheerful voice.

"I thought Christians were crazy and I thought, 'If you are about to take that Bible and say something with it, I am going to take that Bible and smack you,'" she continued. "That's where I was, which is so hard for people to think of if you know me now because the Lord did amazing work."

Newbell explained that by the end of the night, she was crying, confessing her sins, and telling her assistant her life story.

Despite the powerful experience that night, Newbell said that she did not give her life to Christ that night because she had a boyfriend that she "did not want to give up at that time."

It was at the age of 22, Newbell stated, that she was "humbled" after suffering from two broken engagements to be married.

"I remember going to her church and hearing that hymn 'Rock of Ages.' There is a line — 'Wash me Saviour or I'll die,'" she recalled. "I knew at that moment that I needed a savior. My life was transformed immediately. The Lord radically transformed my life."

Newbell told the audience that Ephesians 2 sums up her testimony.

"At the beginning it says, 'I was dead following the prince of the power of the air, following the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience. We all live there too in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body in mind, children of wrath.' That was me," she told the crowd. "Verse 4, 'But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us even when we were dead in our trespasses made us alive together with Christ.' By grace, I was saved. It was grace that I wasn't looking for, grace that I didn't know that I needed. God miraculously saved me.

"God takes dead people and gives them resurrection life. That's what He did. He took a dead girl and gave her resurrection life. God radically transformed everything about me, all of me. He transformed my heart and He also transformed my mind. He transformed my worldview."


No comments:

Post a Comment