Monday, April 2, 2018

Catholic Mom Building A Community of Young Moms in Philadelphia



Gosia Sanchez, foundress of Catholic Moms


Gosia Sanchez, a mom to Edyta (Polish for Edith) and an immigrant from Poland, is dedicated to helping young like-minded moms to form a community in the city of Philadelphia.

I had to opportunity to interview her and what she hopes to accomplish in Philadelphia.

Who you are. Where do you live? Originally? Parish? Family? Marriage?

My name is Malgorzata Sanchez and my family and I immigrated to Philadelphia in the mid-nineties from Siedlce, Poland. Our first parish, as for many Polish immigrants of this region, was St. Adalbert’s up in North Philly. I now live in West Philadelphia with my husband Jose and baby Edyta. We attend holy mass at the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral.   

Talk about your ministry. What drew you to starting it?
 
Like most new moms, I sought groups where I could connect with other mothers. After attending several in my area, I found that not only that the women and I  didn’t share the same family or life values, but that my Catholic faith was not welcomed. As I began looking to the church for community with other Catholic moms and searching through multiple parishes, I came to a dead end finding no such group. I think it’s important to note that being a first-time mother puts any woman in a very vulnerable position, and without support of others who have been there and done that”, it is really difficult to enjoy motherhood, especially those of us who suffer post-partum depression. With all of this on my mind and in my heart, I began to pray and realize that God was asking me to do something about it. Living in the kind of secularized culture we do, I realized that a group like this needs to provide not only a network of direct, in the flesh fellowship, but to transcend typical mommy-problems by an encounter with the world around us. Each one of us has an important role in bringing about the culture of life into our very broken and confused city, and this group offers a prayerful and supportive venue to do so with other like-minded mothers. 
 
3) How has your Catholic faith brought you to where you are now?
 
My Catholic faith has been a compass and source of answers during growing pains and confusion. It has equipped me with a sort of x-ray vision of today’s broken world that’s yearning for authenticity and love. It has given meaning to my immigrating here, and has helped me make sense of what my part and responsibility is as a woman, wife, and now mother to the world around me. Without my faith-based hope, strength, and grace, I wouldn’t be able to live in this city, or start this group. 
 
4) How many members are in your group? How have you met them?
 
Currently, Philadelphia Catholic Mamas has over 40 listed members on Facebook. I have met only several of them, and look forward to meeting more especially at our upcoming events.
 
5) What are some activities you do together?
 
Philadelphia Catholic Mamas engages mothers throughout the city to build fellowship with each other spreading the culture of life through weekly prayer together, Pro-Life work, and monthly meet-ups throughout the city. The first meet up will be set in the beauty of the Schuylkill River where we’ll have lunch and pray the rosary. Our group means to engage in civilian life with a countercultural approach. Children are welcome to join their moms. 
 
With Gosia and Edyta are: Richara Krajewski and Amy Joseph with daughter Elizabeth, participating in recent 40 Days for Life Campaign outside of Planned Parenthood
 
 
6) What are some of your goals going forward? How can we help you get the word out?
 
Some of the goals of PCM is to build a live network of Catholic mothers throughout our city. Every woman should be able to say that her Catholic „mom pal” is just a few blocks or neighborhoods away, not states. Another goal is to have a Pro-life presence in the city, as mothers are the best spokespeople against the brutality of abortion. PCM is meant to revive the approach our parishes have to our mothers, so if each parish offered this group to experienced veteran moms, expecting ones, and any seeking community, it could help us grow, as the need is urgent.  
 
For more information, visit their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/philacatholicmamas/


1 comment:

  1. God bless you dear Gosia! He gave you this beautiful apostolate through your suffering+ Our Lady of Good Help be with you and all the Mamas and their families+

    ReplyDelete