Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Salute To The Courage of Newborns


 By Melanie Jean Juneau

Although I am a mother of nine and a grandmother to two other little ones, my first encounter with my third grandchild startled me. I was struck by the sheer courage it takes a new soul to begin life in the helpless body of an infant.

What I found most startling about this little person, called Lila, besides her courage, was a look of utter surprise as she surveyed the world. When Lila turned at the sound of my voice, and looked at me for the first time, her eyes widen suddenly in recognition. It was if she thought, “Ah, so this is what you look like. I remember your voice.”

She remembered the sound of my voice from her time in the womb, and at six hours old finally put a face to that voice. This interaction brought to mind the reaction of John the Baptist, leaping with joy in the womb of his mother, Elizabeth, as she greeted a pregnant Mary.

continuer reading at http://catholicstand.com

 Melanie Jean Juneau is a wife, writer and mother of nine children who blogs at Joy of nine9 http://melaniejeanjuneau.wordpress.com/.  When the words "The Joy of Mothering on a Hobby Farm" popped into her head as a subtitle for her short stories, it was like an epiphany for her because those few words verbalized her experience living with little people.

No comments:

Post a Comment