Saturday, March 31, 2018

April 11th: Pro-Life Students Will Protest Abortion After School Shooting Walkouts


By Nancy Flanders
Live Action News


On April 11, 2018, pro-life high school students will walk out of their schools at 10 am for 17 minutes, to stand up for the lives of preborn children and spark a much-needed conversation about abortion.

Brandon Gillespie, a student at Rocklin High School in Sacramento, California, saw an opportunity for a pro-life walkout after students across the country staged walkouts against access to guns and gun violence in schools. 


One of Gillespie’s teachers, Julianne Benzel, was placed on administrative leave after asking the students if they think there is a double standard and if there were an abortion walkout, whether the school would support it as they supported the gun violence walkout. That got Gillespie thinking.
“My teacher was placed on administrative leave because she simply asked the question of is there is a double standard,” Gillespie told Live Action News. “That really inspired me and I wanted to put that to the test and see if the school district would allow a walkout for students with a more conservative topic.”
Gillespie scheduled a meeting with the school principal Dave Stewart on March 23, 2018, and while he has yet to receive an answer, Gillespie is moving forward with a plan for the pro-life walkout.
“I met with him on Friday and he was unable to give me a direct answer as to whether or not I could have the walkout,” explained Gillespie. “He said he has to talk to more people from the school district about it. I’m asking for the exact same thing as the other group except it’s a different topic. He will be getting back to me on April 2nd.”
Gillespie believes he will receive approval for the walkout since he is requesting the exact same time and duration for his walkout as the school approved for the gun violence walkout. If the pro-life walkout is refused, that would prove there is a double standard.
“If he says we can’t do it, I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet,” said Gillespie. “But it would be a violation of my First Amendment and 14th Amendment rights. Most likely I would work with a legal team, but I’m not 100 percent sure yet.”
READ: Despite discrimination, pro-life student groups press on

Gillespie said that about 75 percent of Rocklin students participated in the walkout on gun violence, but he is unsure of how many students may join him for the pro-life walkout. However, students from around the United States have been contacting him on planning walkouts at their own schools.

“I’ve been spreading the word through social media on Twitter with #life and #prolifewalkout,” he said. “A lot of people have contacted me saying they like what I’m doing and they want to talk to their school about it.”
Students for Life of America has also reached out to Gillespie, providing him with support, legal help, and training, as well as advice on building a website and using social media.


No comments:

Post a Comment