Sunday, June 3, 2018

A World with Down Syndrome



We often shake our heads at some of the situations that our young adults seem to get themselves into, and we worry about their values (or lack of), some of which are formed by their teachers and schools. One exception is a high school student from Bucks County, Pennsylvania who stands out among her peers.

Sara Drummond, a senior at Central Bucks High School South has produced a video she and some friends put together in response to the recent stories about children being aborted in Denmark, Iceland and China because they have been diagnosed with Down Syndrome. You see, Sara is best friends with a young woman who has Down Syndrome.

According to Sara, she and Cara  have been friends since they were both in second grade. “I have witnessed situations where people did not treat Cara right,” says Sara. “These situations made me realize that very few people truly understand what Down Syndrome is all about.” Sara goes on to say, “Down Syndrome is not something we should get rid of and it is not a bad and scary thing. It is not a disease; people with Down Syndrome are human beings just like you and me.”

As you watch Sara's video, you will notice that every one of these young adults interviewed holds a job and contributes to society, a society who wishes they didn’t exist.


From Sara:  

My name is Sara Drummond. I wanted to share with you a video my friends and I put together in response to Iceland, Denmark, and China aborting all babies with Down syndrome.

The people featured in this video are some of my best friends. The first one to share about her life is Cara Cushing. We have been best friends for ten years; we met in second grade and are now going into our senior year at Central Bucks High School South. Cara introduced me to this setting and has really shaped me into who I am today. Cara and I hang out all the time. We drive to school together, we have sleepovers, we go shopping, and much more.

Everyone featured in the video participates in Camp PALS, an inclusive camp for young adults with Down syndrome. This past summer, I participated in two week-long overnight sessions both at Cabrini University. At PALS, each young adult with Down syndrome is paired with someone who does not have it. The two stay in a dorm room together and go on adventures all week with other campers and counselors.

I also participate in multiple clubs for special education students at my high school. One of the clubs I am very involved in is called Titans Connects. Titans Connect brings special education and non-special education students together in hopes to form friendships. We organize activities such as board games, holiday parties, and a prom at the end of the year.

Through this video and other advocating, I aspire to show the world that my friends and all people with Down syndrome are human beings just like you and me. Down syndrome is not a disease. It is not a bad and scary thing. It is not something that we should get rid of. Nor should we get rid of people that have it.


Please view Sara's video below or on YouTube using this link.



No comments:

Post a Comment