Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Fifteen Women on Why They Regret Their Abortions: ‘Nothing Has Ever Hurt Me This Bad


By Cassy Fiano
Live Action News

We often hear that women almost never regret their abortions. Abortion is portrayed as a source of social good: women who aren’t ready for motherhood can get rid of an inconvenient problem, and they’ll be happy — or at least confident — about their decision for the rest of their lives. Recently, abortion advocates eagerly touted a debunked study that claimed 95% of women don’t regret their abortions.


The reality is much messier, however. Women often do regret their abortions, and many question whether ending a new human being’s life was really their only option.

15 women shared their true stories of abortion regret with the mom website BabyGaga, demonstrating that pain, struggle, depression, and even suicidal ideation after abortion is real. The pain is palpable, in the excerpts below, and in the full accounts here.

  • I am a Catholic and now going through the marriage preparation, I think about the time I had the abortion and how, at the time, I didn’t really think about how bad abortion was and how I just killed a part of me. To this day, nobody knows about the abortion except me, my fiancé, and a close cousin. I try not to think about it, but I can’t help thinking that the person I really love made something with me and I just gave it up. At first, I really tried blaming him. I wish he would have done more to stop me, but in the end I know it was all me. I even think about how, when we start having kids, I’m always going to think about the fact that I was pregnant once before. I really have nobody to talk to about this. I feel so much guilt and feel like I would be judged as a horrible person.


  • I waited over a month after finding out because I struggled. But I did it, and it is the worst decision I’ve ever made, I wish I walked out of the hospital that morning. I took my baby home with me to bury and that just deepened my pain—but I don’t regret that. I cry and I get angry a lot. It’s a huge thing to hold on your shoulders. I’m constantly looking up pictures of what my baby would have looked like right now if I had kept him or her. Nothing has ever hurt me this bad; I feel so stupid. I wish I could turn back the clock.
  • I went up to the office and I SWEAR with ALL my being that as soon as I took the pill and I saw the little blood, I started to freak out and tell the doctors that I could not do it anymore and that my baby needed to live! They looked at me and said that it was too late and that for my safety and for my daughter to have her mother, they needed to do the procedure because there was no way the baby would survive now. I regret letting everything but my LOVE for this baby take me over! I cry every single time we get closer and closer to that date (see editor's note below).

  • I knew deep down I wanted to keep it, but I convinced myself it would be impossible. My sister had had an abortion too and told me not to tell our mom, because she would just give me crap about being irresponsible and stress me out even more.
  • I can’t even live with myself. My soul wants to leave my physical body and go be with my angel baby. The emotions are intense and the situation is scary. I was horrified. … [O]nline blogs, not even this one, can truly express in words the pain you feel the second you walk out those doors. I walked in there with one soul, and left with none. I have never been the same since that day.

  • I lie awake every night wondering if my baby would’ve changed me, if I hadn’t been so selfish. This decision has left me mentally scarred and very emotional. I never thought I’d be so disgusted with myself.

 [Editor’s Note: If you have started an abortion and have changed your mind, you can visit Abortion Pill Reversal or call the 24-hour, nurse-staffed hotline at 1-877-558-0333 to find out if there is a medical professional in your area who may be able to help you reverse your abortion.]


Voices for Life is an e-publication dedicated to informing and educating the public on pro-life and pro-family issues. To read our Mission Statement, use this link.  Follow us on FacebookGoogle, and Pinterest.  Help us spread the pro-life message by sharing our articles on your favorite social networks.

Pregnant, need help or know someone who does?  

National Hotline: Call 1-800-712-HELP or Text 'HELPLINE' to 313131.
In Southeast Penna:  Call or text 610-626-4006  

If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available.  Call Project Rachel's national toll-free number 888-456-HOPE (4673) or  visit hopeafterabortion.org.  


No comments:

Post a Comment