From American Life League's
As anyone concerned about taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood surely knows, last week President Donald Trump signed a bill into law that will further polarize this debate.
Both houses of the United States Congress passed legislation over the last two months allowing states to withhold Title X money from Planned Parenthood or any other organization that commits abortion. That legislation is now the law of the land. Two things about this need explanation.
1. Planned Parenthood Federation of America receives $550 million in taxpayer funding each year and approximately $20 million comes from Title X. Thus, this legislation addresses only a small part of Planned Parenthood’s taxpayer income. However, $20 million is a significant amount of money.
2. The new legislation does not say that states must withhold money from Planned Parenthood, only that the state can withhold the funds if it wants to.
It is not surprising that, in the two weeks since this received congressional approval, a number of states have chosen sides. State officials generally say their state has “defunded” Planned Parenthood by taking one or more of these steps:
• Stopped funding Planned Parenthood through state family planning programs
• Withheld federal Title X family planning grants from Planned Parenthood
• Terminated a Medicaid contract with the organization or barred it from participating in the Medicaid program
The recently passed bill allows all states to implement the second action on this list
Pregnant, need help or know someone who does?
National Hotline: Call 1-800-712-HELP or Text 'HELPLINE' to 313131.
If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available. Call Project Rachel's national toll-free number 888-456-HOPE (4673) or visit hopeafterabortion.org.