New Jersey Right to Life
On Monday, October 10th, the NJ Assembly Appropriations Committee released A2451, the NJ Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act from Committee by an 8-2 vote. The Committee heard testimony from a variety of people pro and con, with testimony limited to three minutes for each person testifying. Testimony was especially powerful from disability advocates who showed up to testify against the bill.
Interestingly and quite notably, four of the regular members of the Committee were absent and substituted by three others who were clearly vetted beforehand to ensure they would vote yes to release the bill from committee.
Please take the action listed in this here and please attend our 10/20 Lobby Day at the State House.
Below you will find the following:
- A list of Assembly members who voted Yes, noting the three who were substitutes.
- A list of Assembly members of the Committee who voted No.
- A list of Assembly members of the Committee who were absent.
- Status of the Bill. It could be scheduled for a vote by the full Assembly on 10/20/16.
- Action Items, including a link to download the flyer for #NoNJAssistedSuicide Lobby Day on 10/20/16.
Assembly Members Voting Yes to release the bill from committee:
AsmKennedy@njleg.org substituted for Asw. Lampitt
AsmEustace@njleg.org substituted for Asm. Conaway
Assembly Members who voted No to release the bill from committee:
Assembly Members of Committee who were absent:
Status of legislation:
The full Assembly could vote on this bill as early as Thursday, October 20, 2016. It has yet to move in the Senate, but it could be scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Health Committee at any time.
Please take the following action immediately:
- Email and Call your two Assembly Members to urge them to Vote no on A2451/S2474. Please do this even if you have done so before.
- Email and call your State Senator and urge them to Vote No on A2451/S2474.
If you wish, you can send a prewritten email from the legislation site of our website by clicking on the Take Action image below:
- Call and Email Governor Christie and urge him to veto the bill if it reaches his desk. Phone: 609 292-6000, Email the Governor: Here.
Select "Health" from the drop down menu, then select "Family Health" from the sub-topic menu
- Plan to attend our #NoNJAssistedSuicide Lobby Day on Thursday, October 20th from 10 a.m. to approximately 2 p.m. Please RSVP to the address on the Flyer if you are planning to join us. Download the Flyer by clicking here.