Monday, January 30, 2017

How Gosnell’s House of Horrors Made Me Pro-Life




by Ann McElhinney
The Daily Signal


I never trusted or liked pro-life activists.

Even at college I thought them too earnest and too religious. I thought the shocking images they showed were manipulative. I distinctly remember my argument: A heart transplant is gross to look at, too. I don’t want to look at pictures of that, and heart transplants are brilliant. So back off, pro-lifers with your scary pictures.

I also didn’t trust the provenance of the pictures; I was sure they had been photoshopped. If the anti-abortion position was so strong, it should be able to argue without resorting to emotionally manipulating its audience with fraudulent horror pictures.

Once you have this mentality, it’s very easy to completely dismiss pro-life activists. And the universities of the world are teeming with young people just like that young person I once was.

Fast forward to April 2013 and Kermit Gosnell’s trial in Philadelphia, when everything changed.




Ann McElhinney is an investigative journalist who has produced documentaries for the BBC, CBC (Canada), and RTE (Ireland). She is co-author of "Gosnell: The Untold Story of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer."


   

The Daily Signal delivers investigative and feature reporting and the most important political news and commentary. The team is committed to truth and unmatched in knowledge of Washington’s politics and policy debates. We tell these stories in formats that respect your time and intelligence.

We know you’re busy. And we’re quite certain you care deeply about the future of our country.  For more information on the Daily Signal, please use this link.



No comments:

Post a Comment